Attorney-at-Law and Notary Public | Partner
Telephone: +41 41 417 40 02
Telefax: +41 41 417 40 17
E-Mail: troller @ trollerlaw.ch
Dr. Patrick Troller (born 1949) has been a partner in Troller Hitz Troller since 1979.
He attended and received his doctor's degree from the University of Berne. From 1977 to 1979 he was at the Max Planck Institute for Foreign and International Patent, Copyright, and Competition Law in Munich. He was admitted to the bar in Lucerne in 1976 and was licensed as a notary in 1979.
His main activity is in the fields of intellectual property law and the law on competition. He is primarily concerned with patent and trademark law, as well as with copyright law, design law, unfair competition law, the law of company and trade names.
Patrick Troller deals with the worldwide filing and prosecution of trademarks and designs.
He provides counselling and represents clients in court proceedings in most of the German-speaking Swiss cantons, as well as in arbitration proceedings and acts as a notary.
His memberships include AIPPI Switzerland, the International Trademark Association (INTA), Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI), the International League of Competition Law, Institut für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz (INGRES), SF Swiss Forum for Communication Law, the Lucerne and Swiss Bar Associations, as well as being a member of the Rotary Club Lucerne.
Patrick Troller is president of the council of the foundation Festival Strings Lucerne as well as member of the council of the foundation Stiftung Konzerthaus Luzern and of the foundation Kammermusik Stiftung.
Dr. Troller speaks German, English, French and Italian.
Rankings and Awards:
- Chambers Europe, Intellectual Property, Band 1:
„Highlighted by peers for having a key presence in the market, Patrick Troller advises on global trade mark filings and prosecutions.“ (2018)
„Patrick Troller retains a strong reputation in the Swiss IP market. He focuses on patents in the pharmaceuticals and life sciences sector as well as on trade mark law.“ (2017)
„Patrick Troller maintains his reputation as a highly prominent figure in the IP market. Sources recommend him for his "highly technical" skills and single him out as "certainly one of the big names, and a great practitioner." He gains particular recognition for his strength in trade mark opposition proceedings and patent litigation.“ (2016)
„Commentators are quick to highlight Patrick Troller as a prominent and respected adviser in this area. Sources confirm he is a “very distinguished IP practitioner”. (2015)
- World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000, Gold Band
„One of the most revered soft IP attorneys in the country, his colleague Patrick Troller is a cultivated courtroom performer who “wins cases that others would lose”. (2018)
„German, English, French and Italian speaker Patrick Troller continues to “deeply impress” fellow professionals with his contentious nous“. (2017)
„Playing no small part in its success is the “really outstanding” and “unswervingly reliable” Patrick Troller, who “provides first-class IP services and has profound knowledge of the law and how to apply it in the best interests of his clients.“ (2016)
„Fellow founding member Patrick Troller is “extremely sharp. He is a tough opponent; tremendously experienced, he has a brilliant mind”. (2015)
- Who’s Who Legal, Trademarks:
„Patrick Troller is regarded as “an extremely impressive practitioner” at the top of the Swiss market. He boasts strong expertise in trademarks and is regularly engaged in high-end cases.” (2018)
„Patrick Troller is one of the top trademark lawyers in the country, with deep expertise across filing, prosecution and competition issues. Sources note him as “one of the people you find on big litigations”. (2017)
- IAM Patent 1000 : „A first-class litigator”, Patrick Troller is the beating heart of the firm’s robust enforcement division. The silver-tongued advocate knows how to win round even the most sceptical judges”. (2017)
- Further rankings and awards in Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers, WIPR Leaders, MIP IP Stars, usw.
- Kollisionen zwischen Firmen, Handelsnamen und Marken, Diss. 1980
- A. Troller/P. Troller, Kurzlehrbuch des Immaterialgüterrechts, 2. Aufl. 1981, 3. Aufl. 1989
- Literatur und Urheberrecht, in "100 Jahre URG", 1983
- Der Schutz des ausländischen Handelsnamens in der neueren schweizerischen Rechtsprechung, in "Etudes de droit suisse et de droit comparé de la concurrence", 1986
- Zum Schutz technisch bedingter Formen als Modelle, Ausstattung oder Formmarke, in Festschrift Dr. Rudolf E. Blum, 1989
- Die Hausmarke - Verhältnis zur Firma, zum Handelsnamen, in "Marke und Marketing", 1990
- K. Troller/P. Troller, Länderbeitrag "SUISSE", in Pierre Greffe/François Greffe, La Publicité et la Loi, 7. Aufl., 1990
- Die einstweilige Verfügung im Immaterialgüterrecht, in "Richter und Verfahrensrecht", ZBJV Sonderband, 1991
- Zur Erheblichkeit der "post sale confusion" bei der Prüfung der Verwechslungsgefahr von Ausstattungen nach Art. 3 lit. d UWG, in SJZ 1992
- Gedanken zum Einfluss des Eintragungsprinzips nach dem neuen Markenrecht auf den Schutz nicht eingetragener Marken, in AJP 1993
- Reine Formmarken haben bezüglich der Form einen weiteren Schutzumfang als kombinierte Formmarken, in Festschrift Lucas David, 1996
- R. Monsch/P. Troller, The Swiss Practice, in Jochen Pagenberg/William Cornish, Interpretation of Patents in Europe, Application of Article 69 EPC, 2006
- P. Troller/G. Joller, Swiss chapter, in: Bereskin, International Trademark Dilution, Thomson Reuters, 2013 ed., 2014 ed., 2015 ed., 2016 ed., 2017 ed., 2018 ed., 2019 ed., 2020 ed.